Tuesday 25 October 2011

Alexander McQueen: Savage Beauty


There is something fascinating about Alexander McQueen – not only did he create a HUGE name for himself through his creations but also the fashion shows in which he launched them in. McQueen is said to have remarked “I don’t want to do a cocktail party, I’d rather people left my shows and vomited. I prefer extreme reactions”. Extreme reactions are certainly what he received for his spring/summer 2001 collection Voss.


A video of this was shown in the “Romantic Exoticism” section of his Savage Beauty Collection at the Metropolitan Museum in New York – funnily enough it was a room my mother was keen for us to move on from. He wanted the shock factor and he got it.

Then in total contrast to the impact that video had on us we didn’t want to leave the room (Romantic Nationalism) which contained the stunning hologram of Kate Moss, which was used in his Widows of Culloden Collection, autumn/winter 2006–7. 


In a white floating dress Kate Moss’s hologram is representative of a ghost like spirit. The music accompanying it is fitting for the piece and adds to its elegance.

Below are some of my favourite pieces taken from the Savage Beauty Exhibition Catalogue. I was given the book, containing all of the work shown in the exhibition, at the end of my trip in New York and will most certainly cherish it for years to come. 






More images and videos on the exhibition can be found here:http://blog.metmuseum.org/alexandermcqueen/

No comments:

Post a Comment